Why You Need to Use Eco-Friendly Shipping Supplies
It’s crucial for businesses to find ways to decrease their effect on the environment. That’s why many companies are looking for new methods of designing, producing, and even shipping their products. With that in mind, this article will tell you everything you need to know about eco-friendly packaging ideas, sustainable shipping, and more.
What are Eco-Friendly Shipping Supplies?
Eco-friendly shipping supplies refer to creative and innovative alternatives to traditional packaging materials, including eco friendly shipping boxes and biodegradable shipping bags. There are many options available to companies conscious of their effect on the environment, including biodegradable containers and recyclable plastics.
What is the Importance of Zero-Waste Packaging?
Zero-waste packaging is important for businesses to implement for many reasons. The waste that humans are creating continues to increase as the global population grows, and there are currently about 7 billion tons of plastic waste on Earth. Landfills are also full of all types of different materials, beyond just plastic. Here are some of the top reasons for your company to implement zero-waste packaging:
- Recycling does not solve all problems. It’s definitely better to use recyclable materials and recycled products rather than disposing of waste in the trash can or landfill. Recycling, unfortunately, does not solve all environmental problems. It is not entirely successful, despite widespread adoption by customers. This is partly because of confusion over recycling best practices and contaminated recycling streams that are ineffective or inefficient.
- Most recycling in the United States is single-stream, which means that there is only one recycling bin for glass, metal, plastic, and paper. This means that a lot of customers are simply not sure which materials and products are recyclable and which materials cannot be recycled, especially since some products are made from a mix of different materials. Plus, recycling codes vary in different locations.
- Unfortunately, this means that a lot of recyclable materials end up in landfills when the recycling streams get contaminated with the incorrect materials. That’s why it’s more crucial than ever to find recycling alternatives, like zero-waste packaging.
- Zero waste can save your business money. Zero waste refers to businesses setting up systems for containers and waste after products are in buyers’ and customers’ hands. While this can certainly be a difficult task, it can also save your company a ton of money since the materials return to your business for repurposing and reuse.
- Zero waste has a positive environmental impact. Using zero-waste packaging for shipping purposes has a substantial positive impact on the environment as you are not creating any waste with your packaging and shipping materials.
- Zero waste helps you build brand loyalty. Zero-waste packaging can also help your company build brand loyalty with your target audience and those who want more environmentally friendly products and consumer options.
Recycled Packaging Ideas
Here are some ideas for green shipping boxes and other top recycled packaging ideas:
- Biodegradable packing peanuts. Many cities around the United States are banning styrofoam, also known as expanded polystyrene foam or EPS, because the material is not economically recyclable or biodegradable. It can also end up in waterways causing devastation to marine life. That’s why you should consider using biodegradable air peanuts, which are less expensive and don’t cause pollution to our environment.
- Corrugated bubble wrap. Traditional bubble wrap packaging is not very environmentally friendly since it is made of plastic. However, there are plenty of alternatives to traditional bubble wrap, including corrugated bubble wrap. Corrugated bubble wrap is a wrap made from corrugated and up-cycled cardboard. Small cuts are made in the cardboard pieces to create an effect that protects against shocks, just like bubble wrap.
- Air pillows made from recycled materials. Another fantastic eco-friendly and cost-saving option is inflatable air pillows made from recyclable materials. These air pillows come in a wide range of different sizes and are perfect for offering cushioning around packed items and filling up voids in boxes.
- Cornstarch packaging. Cornstarch packaging is made from cornstarch, an organic material that comes from the maize or corn plant. Cornstarch has many plastic-like properties, so it can be used in scenarios where plastic is traditionally used, including for loose-fill packaging, molded forms, and bottles.
- Mushroom packaging. Mushroom packaging uses ground and cleaned agriculture waste that is fused with mushroom roots or mycelium. This agricultural waste is waste that can’t otherwise be used as a food source for animals or humans. The raw mushroom packaging material can be molded into different shapes for packaging. Consumers can also compost it at home.
- Seaweed packaging. The substance agar is found in several different algae and seaweeds and can be used in a variety of applications. More recently, agar has been used as a packaging material and is considered to be the new eco-friendly packaging alternative option.
- Recycled cardboard and paper. Cardboard and paper are two of the most recyclable materials out there. We recommend using post-consumer or post-industrial recycled cardboard and paper as your packaging materials.
ShippingTree provides an order fulfillment platform that gives clients complete visibility and control over everything happening in the warehouse. ShippingTree doesn’t expect you to be an expert in the supply chain, so the dashboard is built to be user-friendly and help you run your business smoothly. You can use ShippingTree’s integrations to keep your orders moving since integrations cover marketplaces, shopping cart platforms, return services, subscription payment platforms, and more.
We work with companies of all sizes, from coast to coast. Let us handle the logistics of shipping so you can concentrate on your business.
The ShippingTree Difference
Eco-friendly shipping supplies make a huge difference when it comes to sustainability. Your consumers can either compost these packaging materials in many cases or return them to you for a zero-waste packaging model.
If you want to learn more about eco friendly shipping supplies, feel free to reach out to ShippingTree. We can help with any shipping questions you may have. We’re also happy to discuss our services as well as sustainable transport packaging.